Today, we’re spotlighting the Asia Institute Crane House — an organization celebrating the cultural diversity of Asia in Kentucky via educational programs + public service. Located in one of Old Louisville’s historic buildings (1244 S. Third St.), this center celebrates the cultural diversity of Asia right here in Louisville.
- 1987 | Helen Lang founded the institution as Crane House, The China Institute, Inc.
- 1996 | The name changed to Asia Institute-Crane House (AICH) to include all Asian cultures.
- 2001 | The AICH opened its first gallery featuring objects from its collection.
- 2011 | The AICH + Vietnamese community were awarded the Kentucky History Award from the Kentucky Historical Society for the Vietnam Oral History Project.
Now | The AICH reaches over 50,000 children + adults annually through programs, exhibitions, and performances.
From regular art exhibits to educational programs on subjects like calligraphy, there’s a lot to learn with the AICH. Here are two upcoming events to check out:
- Rice Paper & Sip | Sat., May 21 | 2-4 p.m. | Crane House, 1244 S. Third St. | $25 for members, $35 for nonmembers | Register here for a paint + sip experience — just/but with rice paper.
- Derby City Dhoom Dance Competition | Sat., May 21 | 6:30 p.m. | Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts | $12+ | Come watch Derby City Dhoom present its fourth annual national Bhangra and fusion dance competition hosted by the Indian Student Association at the University of Louisville.
For more event information, follow AICH’s Instagram or join the mailing list.
Here are some ways you can support AICH’s mission:
- Become a member | Members get discounted admission to programs + an invitation to the New Year Dinner and Auction.
- Donate | Help sponsor programs that promote a better understanding of Asian cultures.
- Join Crane House Young Professionals | Those between the ages of 21-45 can join monthly CHYP meetings, which connects professionals + mentors students.
Volunteer | Help out by volunteering for dragon dancing or helping with annual fundraising events + educational programs.