Taking out the garbage and recycling plastic and cardboard is a no-brainer, but when it comes to questionable items like batteries, spray paint, household chemicals (like freon and fertilizers) + furniture, knowing how to dispose of them properly isn’t always as easy. Does anyone else have a small family of cleaning sprays living in the back of a kitchen cabinet or is that just us?
That’s why we’re going to spend a little time this morning giving you the tools to know what to do in the 502 when it comes to hard-to-dispose items.
- Drop off unwanted items from this list to the Haz Bin at 7501 Grade Ln. off of Outer Loop Tues.-Sat., 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Get a personalized waste calendar and learn what goes where from Metro’s Recycle Coach app — “We’ve been taught to recycle. Now it’s time to learn to recycle correctly.”
- Brush up on garbage, recycling + yard waste. DYK: You can recycle foil take-out containers.
- Visit one of Public Works’ Pop-Up Drop-Off events to dispose of electronics, passenger tires + furniture — the next one is Sat., July 16 at Shawnee Park.
- Put items from that same list above in the trash
- Drop off ammunition, expired medication, or latex paint
- Dump items on roads or alleyways or you’ll end up here
Bonus: Feeling like a waste pro? Up your garbage game by learning how to compost at home + get a compost bin at wholesale prices.