Halloween is right around the corner – so we’ve searched every dark alley + corridor for the spookiest events – *witch* you’ll be dying to attend.
The tradition of celebrating All Hallows Eve is believed to have derived from a Celtic festival that marked the end of the harvest, the beginning of winter + a time when spirits were able to cross back to earth. The Celts tried to appease the friendly spirits by offering a feast, and to scare away the not-so-friendly ones by dressing up in frightening costumes.
We’ve divided our undead harvest into 5 categories. Whether you want to Get Spooked, hit a Monster Mash, Watch a scary film, Eat and Drink some frightful treats, or find something for your Little Ghosts, we’ve got you covered.
👻 Get Spooked
- American Horrorplex | Fridays + Saturdays until Oct. 30 | 8 p.m.-2 a.m. | 2012 Northwestern Pkwy. | $25 | Get the full haunted experience as you survive the Haunted House, escape from 1 of 2 escape rooms, tour the bug bus from “The Silence of the Lambs,” + shop local vendors. Decompress at the onsite petting zoo.
- Pope Lick Haunted Woods | Sun., Sept. 24-Sat., Oct. 23 | 8 p.m.-12 a.m. | 4002 S. Pope Lick Rd. | Adults $29.99, Children $19.99 | For those craving a good scare, experience the legend of the Pope Lick Monster with live music, food and beverages + hair-raising movies on the lawn.
- The Haunting Mansion Escape | Fri., Oct. 15-Sat., Oct. 23 | 8 p.m.-1 a.m. | 4002 S. Pope Lick Rd. | $4.99 + admission to Ultimate Halloween Fest | Escape this abandoned mansion where you’ve disturbed the spirits in 7 minutes or else you yourself will join the undead ranks at the manor.
- Baxter Avenue Morgue | Fri. Oct. 1- Sun., Oct. 31 | 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Fri. + Sat., 8-11 p.m. on Sundays | $20 | Take the scary tour, but if you’re too scared, the morgue offers 7 doors with yellow “Kentucky Frightened Chicken” signs where you can immediately exit the haunted house.
👻 Monster Mash
- Crashers Halloween Bash & Costume Party | Sat., Oct. 30 | 7 p.m.-2 a.m. | Paristown | Pop in your vampire fangs for this party featuring performances by Cirque Legende, a zombie dance to “Thriller,” spooky photo-ops + food and drinks.
- CarnEVIL Halloween Party | Sat., Oct. 31 | 8 p.m. | Fourth Street Live! | Free | Get scary for this 21+ event + check out VIP tickets for drink specials.
- Halloween for Huntington’s | Sat., Oct. 30 | 8 p.m.-1 a.m. | Mercury Ballroom | $35+ | Bust a zombie move at this dance party benefiting the KY Chapter of the Huntington’s Disease Society.
- A Saucy Halloween w/ The Bizarre Bazaar | Sun., Oct. 31 | 8 p.m. | Zanzabar | $10+ | Get freaky at this drag, burlesque + sideshow spooktacular.
- Haunted Houses of Louisville | Mon., Oct. 18 | 6:30-7:30 p.m. | Fairdale Public Library, 10620 W. Manslick Rd. | Free | Steve Wiser will tell stories about some of the best known ghost-related occurrences in the metro region. 👻
- Rocky Horror Picture Show | Fri., Oct. 29 | 8-11 p.m. | Paristown, 720 Brent St. | $19.99 | Catch this cult classic, featuring actors from Absolute Studio Theater giving a live performance of the film alongside the huge screen in Christy’s Garden.
- Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark (2019) | Fri., Oct. 15 | 8 p.m.-12 a.m. | 4002 S. Pope Lick Rd. | Adults $29.99, Children $19.99 | Hear the twisted + horrible tales of Sarah Bellows, which have a way of becoming all too real for a group of unsuspecting teenagers who find themselves at her house.
- The Wolfman (2010) | Fri., Oct. 22 | 8 p.m.-12 a.m. | 4002 S. Pope Lick Rd. | Adults $29.99, Children $19.99 | In an attempt to find his missing brother, Lawrence Talbot contends with his family’s terrifying legacy + a curse that turns people into beasts under the full moon.
- Movies in the Park: Goosebumps | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7:20 p.m. | St. Matthews Community Park, 310 Ten Pin Ln. | Free | Gates open at 6:20 p.m. + come dressed up for a costume contest.
- Halloween Kills + Venom: Let There Be Carnage | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7:30 p.m. | Sauerbeck Family Drive-in | $11+ | Catch 2 spooky, new releases + get some treats at the drive-in concession stand.
👻 Eat or Drink
- Hocus Pocus: A Spooktacular Event | Tues., Oct. 19 | 6:30-9 p.m. | West Sixth NuLu, 817 E Market St. Suite 101 | $20 | Cast a spell at this Sanderson Sister themed event with adult trick-or-treating, tarot card readings + prizes.
- Pup-O-Ween Dog Costume Contest | Fri., Oct. 29 | 7 p.m.-12 a.m. | Hi-Wire Brewing + PG&J’s Dog Park | Free | Sign up your furry friend in costume from 7-8:30 p.m. to be entered to win in different costume contest categories.
- The 4th Annual Halloween Bar Crawl | Sat., Oct. 30 | 2-10 p.m. | Nirvana Louisville | $15 Early Bird, $25 General Admission | Haunt Bardstown Road and enjoy specials on witch’s brews, a costume contest + an afterparty.
👻For Little Ghosts
- Trick-r-Treating featuring Hocus Pocus | Sun., Oct. 31 | 5-9 p.m. | Paristown, 720 Brent St. | $4.99 | Bring your kiddos to this trick-or-treating event where the classic movie, “Hocus Pocus” will be played on the big screen.
- Trick or Treat at the Track | Sun., Oct. 31 | 1 p.m. | Churchill Downs | $10 | Enjoy Halloween fun under the Twin Spires, a day of thrilling racing + activities for kids under 12.
- Trick-or-Treat at the Village | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 5-7 p.m. | Westport Village | Free | Stroll door-to-door collecting sweet treats at this not-so-spooky event for the whole family
- MakerPlace Workshop: Spooky Paint Pouring | Sat., Oct. 30 | 1 p.m. | Kentucky Science Center | $20 | Discover different additives and techniques that change acrylic paint on canvas including special glow-in-the-dark paint.
- Spooky Saturday | Sat., Oct. 30 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Frazier History Museum | Free | Celebrate Halloween eve with a scavenger hunt, artifacts tour, storytime, jack-o-lantern history + a live performance of “The Raven,” by Edgar Allen Poe.
- Kooky Little Spooky Halloween Party | Mon., Oct. 18 | 5-7 p.m. | Shawnee Public Library, 3912 W. Broadway | Free | Ages 2-8 can come in costume to this party with games, music + snacks.