It’s the season of picking — berry picking, that is. With an abundance of Kentucky farms nearby, Louisville has great access to fresh produce. And maybe it’s just us, but the rising temperatures are making us crave our favorite sweet + tangy source of antioxidants: strawberries.
We’ve got six local farms around the 502 where you can pick fresh strawberries to whip up a frothy strawberry milkshake or craft the perfect strawberry shortcake.
🍓 Huber’s Orchard, Winery & Vineyards, 19816 Huber Rd., Borden, IN (~20 miles from LOU)
- Season starts Mon., May 3-Wed., June 15
- Mon.-Fri. + Sun. from 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. from 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Price not listed
- Call ahead for availability, 812-923-9463 ext. 2
🍓 Berry Best Farm, 26011 Highway 62, Nabb, IN (~33 miles from LOU)
- Starts end of May and runs through mid-June
- Mon.-Sat. from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. + Sun. from 1-5 p.m.
- Price not listed
- Bring your own containers + cash or check are the preferred payment methods.
🍓 Gallrein Farms, 1029 Vigo Rd., Shelbyville, KY (~38 miles from LOU)
- Mid-May through early June
- Mon.-Sat. from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun. from 1-4 p.m.
- $24 per gallon + $6 per quart
- Strawberries are first come first serve; calling beforehand is recommended.
🍓 Hinton’s Orchard, 8631 Campbellsville Rd., Hodgenville, KY (~64 miles from LOU)
- Starts mid-May
- Mon.-Sat. from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- $27 per gallon
- This year’s harvest is starting off slow, but more and more are showing up every day.
🍓 Eckert’s Versaille Orchard, 1396 Pinckard Pike., Versailles, KY (~70 miles from LOU)
- Starts Fri., April 29
- Tues.-Sun. from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- $3.99 per pound
- Purchase a field access pass in advance from their Instagram page for discounts.
🍓 Evan’s Orchard, 198 Stone Rd., Georgetown, KY (~77 miles from LOU)
- Starts mid-May and lasts 2-3 weeks
- Tues.-Sat. from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. + Sun. from 12-5 p.m.
- $6 per quart
- Pre-order online + check in at the gift store to pick
Picking berries not your thing? Opt for a slice of strawberry cake from Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe on Frankfort Avenue instead.
On Sat., May 28 the Star Valley Strawberry Festival returns to Borden, IN (about a 30-minute drive from downtown). This springtime festival has been a tradition for over 40 years + features live music from The Monarchs, craft booths, classic festival games, and a “world-famous” build-your-own strawberry shortcake bar.