Happy May, Louisville. 🌸 If you’re anything like us, you’re ecstatic about the sunny days, blooming flowers, and summer on the horizon — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in River City.
Monday-Sunday, May 2-8
Sunday, May 1
- Brunch & Beats | Sun., May 1 | 12-5 p.m. | Mellwood Art Center | $20 | Start your Derby week off with brunch + a DJ set. 🎵
- Zoeller Pump Company Kentucky Derby Festival Pegasus Parade | Sun., May 1 | 3 p.m. | W. Broadway, Campbell + 9th Streets | The official kick off to Derby week is back + the theme for this year’s parade is “Loving Louisville.”
- Suds & Seeds | Sun., May 1 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Waterfront Botanical Gardens | Free | Enter a plant lover’s paradise with beer from Apocalypse + leave with free plants when you register. 🌱
- Derby Drag Brunch for LLS | Sun., May 1 | 10 a.m.-1 p.m. | Chik’n & Mi, 1765 Mellwood Ave. | $110+ | Your ticket includes brunch, a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, raffle tickets + one show featuring local drag performers.
- Dawn at the Downs | Sun., May 1-Mon., May 2 | 6:30-8:30 a.m. | Churchill Downs | $41+ | Enjoy breakfast at the track as you watch the horses train narrated by experts.
- Mini Market at Mile Wide | Sun., May 1 | 2-6 p.m. | Mile Wide Beer Co. | Free | Peruse local vendors at this once-a-month pop-up market.
- Farmers’ Market | Sun., May 1 | 12-4 p.m. | Norton Commons, 10712 Meeting St. | Free | Buy fresh, local produce and goods — including crafts.
- Goodtimers “Derby Week Kick Off” Day Party | Sun., May 1 | 5 p.m. | Ice House, 226 E. Washington St. | $30+ | Celebrate the best week in LOU at this downtown rooftop party.
- Derby Kickoff Music Festival | Sun., May 1 | 4 p.m. | 1512 Portland Ave. | $10+ | Hear musicians from across Kentucky + get your ticket in advance or they’re $20 at the door.
Monday, May 2
- Kentucky Derby Festival Steamboat Race Trial | Mon., May 2 | 11 a.m. -1 p.m. | Belle of Louisville Riverboats | $45 | Ride on the Belle of Louisville as it practices for the Great Steamboat Race happening on Wed., May 4. 🚢
- Race for Grace | Mon., May 2 | 6-9 p.m. | Churchill Downs | $150 | Join the 20th anniversary of this fundraising event that will feature a live auction of Derby + horse racing memorabilia. 🐎
- Louisville Beer Appreciation Day 2022 | Mon., May 2 | 5:02 p.m. | Louisville | Free | Pour a local pint for a city-wide toast + share it on social media with #brew502.
- Champions Night 2022 | Mon., May 2 | 6-10 p.m. | Molly Malone’s, 933 Baxter Ave. | Free, $20 suggested donation | Support local nonprofit Second Stride at this fundraiser with a raffle, silent auction + a panel of horse racing industry experts. 🐎
Tuesday, May 3
- Kentucky Proud Kentucky Derby Festival WineFest | Tues., May 3 | 5-9 p.m. | Louisville Slugger Field | $50+ | Try 100+ local wines and light appetizers with Kentucky Proud cooking demos. 🍷
- Champions Day | Tues., May 3 | 12:45 p.m. | Churchill Downs | $16+ | Celebrate women who’ve trailblazed the horse racing industry.
Wednesday, May 4
- Liberty Financial Kentucky Derby Festival Great Steamboat Race | Wed., May 4 | 4:30-7:30 p.m. | Belle of Louisville | $165 | Climb aboard as the Belle of Louisville races against the Belle of Cincinnati and American Countess + get dinner and an open bar. 🚢
- Biscuits & Bourbon | Wed., May 4 | 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. | Kentucky Derby Museum | $125 | Grab your ticket to this Southern-style brunch with live entertainment, unlimited bourbon + a delicious menu. 🥃
- Winner’s Circle Wednesday | Wed., May 4 | 8:30-10 a.m. | Black Jockey’s Lounge, 630 S. 4th St. | Free for Leadership Louisville members, $25 for non-members | Sip on mimosas while connecting with the local business community + wear a Derby-themed accessory to be entered in a raffle.
- Turners Annual Steamboat Race Party | Wed., May 4 | 4 p.m. | 3125 River Rd. | $5 per person | Watch the race from Turner’s on the river and stay for live music from 6-9 p.m. by AJ Clements + food and specialty cocktails.
Thursday, May 5
- Thurby | Thurs., May 5 | 12:45 p.m. | Churchill Downs | $29+ | See Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats play live music in the infield between horse races. 🎸
- Taste of Derby | Thurs., May 5 | 7-11 p.m. | KFC Yum! Center | $325 | This fundraising event mixes star-studded Derby vibes with exquisite food, wine tastings + chef showdowns.
- SNEAKY LINK @ The Whirling Tiger | Thurs., May 5 | 9 p.m. | The Whirling Tiger | $15 | Catch a lineup of local DJs + musicians.
- Cinco De Derby | Thurs., May 5 | 9 p.m. | Ice House, 226 E. Washington St. | $25 | Party with the world-famous DJ VICE.
Friday, May 6
- Kentucky Oaks | Fri., May 6 | 8 a.m. | Churchill Downs | $158+ | See the fillies run + drink a lily cocktail.
- Rabbit Hole Distillery- Oaks Night Dinner and After Party | Fri., May 6 | 8-11:30 p.m. | Rabbit Hole Distillery, 711 E Jefferson St. | $250 | An open bar, live music + hors d’oeuvres make for a great Oaks after party. 🥃
- Coat Check Presents: DecaDANCE and Depraved | Fri., May 6 | 9 p.m. | The Whirling Tiger | $10 | Party with local DJs, see visuals by Introvert + get shimmery with Bioglitz.
- Silks Bash 2022 | Fri., May 6 | 7:30 p.m. | Historic Locust Grove, 561 Blankenbaker Ln. | $100+ | Support Operation Open Arms at this annual party + upgrade your ticket for $200 and get VIP perks.
- Photo Finish Festival | Fri., May 6 | 9 p.m. | Headliners Music Hall | $20 | Check out this unofficial Oaks Day after party featuring a lineup local musicians curated by Ben Sollee.
- Unbridled Eve Derby Gala | Fri., May 6 | 7 p.m. | The Galt House | $1,250+ | Mingle with celebrities and VIPs in town for the Run for the Roses at this ninth annual charity event.
- Goodtimers “Derby Eve Experience” | Fri., May 6 | 10 p.m. | PNC Club inside Cardinal Stadium | $60+ | Put on that upscale attire and dance in an outdoor area to live music + a DJ. 🎉
- Rabbit Hole Distillery KY DERBY “OAKS AFTER PARTY” | Fri., May 6 | 9:30 p.m. | Rabbit Hole Distillery | $250 | Kick off Derby weekend with an open bar, live entertainment + hors d’oeuvre. 🥃
- A Verzuz Derby Brunch | Fri., May 6 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Joe’s Palm Room, 1821 W. Jefferson St. | $50 | Enjoy brunch as you watch Erica Goodman and Krissalyn Love perform as Whitney Houston + Beyonce in a hip-hop battle.
- Waverly Hills Summer 6 Hour Public Investigation | Fri., May 6 | 11:59 p.m.-6 a.m. | Waverly Hills Sanatorium | $90 | Spend the night at Waverly in a semi-guided tour exploring the circa-1910 tuberculosis hospital.
- 2022 Derby Eve | Fri., May 6 | 9 p.m. | 21c Musem Hotel Louisville | $500 | Party with special guest Jack Harlow + support the Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund.
Saturday, May 7
- Kentucky Derby | Sat., May 7 | 8 a.m. | Churchill Downs | $540+ | Celebrate the most exciting two minutes in sports at the 148th Run for the Roses. 🏇
- Springtime Printmaking Workshop | Sat., May 7 | 1-4 p.m. | Louisville School of Painting, 1015 S. 4th St. | $55+ | Beginners are welcome at this intro to printmaking workshop where you can learn the basics of linocut printmaking + take home 10 handmade prints.
- Derby Block Party | Sat., May 7 | 12 p.m. | Logan Street Market | Free | Cheer on your favorite horses from the TV in Wild Hops + bring the kids for an outdoor crafting and game area.
Sunday, May 8
- 2nd Annual Mother’s Day Luncheon Social | Sun., May 8 | 12-4 p.m. | Muhammad Ali Center | $50+ | Suprise mom with a fun lunch that includes a tour of the Muhammad Ali Center + a DJ.
- Birdwatching Hike | Sun., May 8 | 8-10 a.m. | Cherokee Park, Nettleroth Bird Sancutary area | Free for members | Spot a variety of birds passing through town. 🦜
- Louisville Mothers Day Market | Sun., May 8 | 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. | Forage, 1201 Goss Ave. | Free to attend | Shop vegan treats from Sugar High, teas from Sis Got Tea + jewelry from Sunblind at this maternal market.
Monday-Sunday, May 9-15
Tuesday, May 10
- Louisville Bats vs. Toledo Mud Hens | Tues., May 10 | Multiple Times | Louisville Slugger Field | $9+ | See the Bats are take on the Mud Hens in the first home game series in May. ⚾
Wednesday, May 11
- Upscale Comfort Food Cooking Class | Wed., May 11 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Cooking at the Cottage, 3739 Lexington Rd. | $65 | Learn how to make kimchi arancini + rigatoni with truffled mushroom cream from Chef Dallas McGarity. 🍄
- Signature 3: Pictures at an Exhibition | Wed., May 11 | 7 p.m. | Wyatt Center for the Arts, 1700 Loftus Cir. | Free | Hear the Louisville Community Orchestra play symphonic pieces inspired by non-musical works. 🎻
Thursday, May 12
- Eagles: Hotel California Tour | Thurs., May 12 | 8 p.m. | KFC Yum! Center | $129+ | The Hear Hotel California the way The Eagles intended — from start to finish. 🎶
- Four Roses Bourbon Dinner by Swizzle Dinner & Drinks | Thurs., May 12 | 7-9 p.m. | Swizzle Dinner & Drinks, 140 N Fourth St. | $120 | Enjoy a five course meal with bourbon pairings from Four Roses. 🥃
- Girlfriends Spring Fling | Thurs., May 12 | 6-8 p.m. | TEN20 Craft Brewery Anchorage | Donations for entry | Shop local women-owned pop ups + raise funds for the Center for Women and Families.
- Global Trivia | Thurs., May 12 | 7 p.m. | TEN20 Craft Brewery | $5 suggested donation | Round up five friends for your team as you answer five rounds of questions. 🧠
- Short Film Slam | Thurs., May 12 | 7-9 p.m. | Speed Art Museum Cinema | $8+ | See productions from local filmmakers + learn their inspiration in five-minute Q&A sessions after each screening. 📽️
Saturday, May 14
- Leon Bridges | Sat., May 14 | 8 p.m. | The Louisville Palace | $76+ | Hear the smooth stylings of Leon Bridges with opener Danielle Ponder. 🎤
- How-To Festival | Sat., May 14 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Main Library, 301 York St. | Free | Become a jack of all trades at this exhibition showcasing 50+ skills to learn — including how to milk a cow, brew your own beer, or print like Gutenberg. 🧠
- Drag Brunch | Sat., May 14 | 11 a.m.-1 p.m. | Board and You Bistro & Wine Bar, 434 Pearl St, New Albany, IN | $20 | Watch drag queens rock the dance floor with brunch by Chef Aaron Flanagan.
- Lemon Door Hanger Workshop | Sat., May 14 | 11 a.m.-1 p.m. | Work the Metal, 1201 Story Ave. | $74.14 | Craft a summer door decoration with help from Our Lady of Wreaths. 🍋
- Signature 3: Pictures at an Exhibition | Sat., May 14 | 3 p.m. | Springdale Presbyterian Church, 7812 Brownsboro Rd. | Free | Hear the Louisville Community Orchestra play pieces inspired by non-musical works. 🎻
- Schnitzelburg Spring Walk ’22 | Sat., May 14 | 4 p.m. | The Merryweather, 1101 Lydia St. | Free | Drink on the street + food from POCO and local bands.
- Community Yard Sale | Sat., May 14 | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | Norton Commons, 10712 Meeting St. | Free | Find another man’s treasure at this local yard sale.
- St. Matthews Farmers Market | Sat., May 14 | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | Beargrass Christian Church | Free | Shop local vendors like The Arrow Fund, a local nonprofit that rescues + rehabilitates animals from abuse.
- Louisville Bats vs. Toledo Mud Hens | Sat., May 14 | 7:05 p.m. | Louisville Slugger Field | $9+ | Dress up as your favorite superhero for this themed game + Bats players will done Doctor Strange jerseys.
- Yellowstone Bourbon / Stephen Beam Bottle Signing | Sat., May 14 | 1-2:30 p.m. | Joe’s Older Than Dirt | $10 | Try five different BIG Bourbon Club barrel picks + get a seventh-generation Beam to sign your bottle. 🥃
- Bluegrass PugFest 2022 | Sat., May 14-Sun., May 15 | 1 a.m.-4 p.m. | Kentucky Exposition Center | $8 | Raise funds for Pug Rescue organizations across the country as you enjoy educational sessions, pug races + a pug costume contest. 🐶
- Schnitzelburg Walk and Rock Street Fest | Sat., May 14 | 11 a.m. | Monnik Beer Company, 1036 E. Burnett Ave. | Free | Stroll down Hickory Street with a soft pretzel or bratwurst as you shop local vendors + listen to live music. 🥨
- Gardener’s Fair | Sat., May 14-Sun., May 15 | 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. | Historic Locust Grove, 561 Blankenbaker Ln. | $8 | Get gardening goods from local vendors + check out farm animal demonstrations like goat milking and sheep shearing. 🌱
- International Food Truck Festival | Sat., May 14 | 11 a.m.-10 p.m. | Waterfront Park | Free | Sample a selection of local vendors dishing out worldly foods from food trucks like All Thai’d Up + the Celtic Pig. 🥘
Bratwurst & Maibock | Sat., May 14 | 2-5 p.m. | German American Club, 1840 Lincoln Ave. | Free | Hit the Maifest Biergarten and enjoy live music, Maibock beers on draft + a traditional German dinner at 6 p.m. 🍻
Sunday, May 15
- Louisville Fitness Festival 2022 | Sun., May 15 | 9 a.m.-2 p.m. | Paristown – Christy’s Garden, 731 Brent St. | Free | This festival is bringing all of your favorite fitness studios + wellness centers to one place, 🏋️
- Breathe & Bubbly: A Yoga Pop-Up Series | Sun., May 15 | 11 a.m.-1 p.m. | The Local Seltzery NuLu | $15 | Get into this gentle, 45-minute yoga flow + stay after and get 20% off your first seltzer. 🧘
- Waterfront Dancing | Sun., May 15 | 5:30-8 p.m. | Big Four Bridge | Free | Learn dances like timba, salsa + merengue.
- Israeli Street Fair | Sun., May 15 | 12-4 p.m. | Trager Family JCC, 3600 Dutchmans Ln. | Free | Shop a market with 25+ vendors, nosh on local vegetarian food + take a tour of the newly-renovated JCC.
Monday-Sunday, May 16-22
Monday, May 16
- Lucius | Mon., May 16 | 8 p.m. | Headliners Music Hall | $25+ | Catch this four-piece indie pop band on their “Feels Like Second Nature” tour.
Tuesday, May 17
- Women Wonderland | Tues., May 17 | 6:30 p.m. | Mile Wide Beer Co. | $20 | Celebrate female empowerment with a panel of local women, a beer voucher + get your headshot taken.
- Peerless Presentation and Tasting | Tues., May 17 | 7-8:30 p.m. | Joe’s Older Than Dirt | $45 | Learn about Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co. via a guided tasting + presentation. 🥃
Thursday, May 19
- Memorial Day Get Together cooking Class | Thurs., May 19 | 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. | Cooking at the Cottage, 3739 Lexington Rd. | $55 | Learn how to make a star spangled layer dip + swirled meringues with fresh blueberry sauce. 🇺🇸
Friday, May 20
- Bluegrass, Bourbon, and Barbecue | Fri., May 20 | 6 p.m. | Muhammad Ali Center | $85 | Support Summit Academy of Greater Louisville with a silent auction, live music, BBQ + bourbon from the region’s best distillers.
- Poorcastle Festival 2022 | Fri., May 20-Sat., May 21 | 1 p.m. | Breslin Park | $10+ | Jam to local musicians at this less-expensive version of Forecastle Festival.
Saturday, May 21
- Lou City FC vs. Monterey Bay FC | Sat., May 21 | 7:30 p.m. | Lynn Family Stadium | $19+ | Watch Lou City take on Monterey Bay. ⚽
- Foxhollow Farm Presents: Sunset Concerts | Sat., May 21 | 5 p.m. | Fox Hollow Farm, 8905 Highway 329, Crestwood, KY | Kids under 12 free, $40 for adults | Spread out a blanket and listen to music from Appalatin + Revinylize on the sprawling farm property.
- 7th Annual Norton Commons Art Festival | Sat., May 21-Sun., May 22 | 11 a.m.-5 p.m. | 10712 Meeting St. | Free | Shop from more than 75 artisan booths + get a bite to eat at a local food truck.
- Paristown Flea | Sat., May 21 | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | 720 Brent St. | Free | Shop a curated, outdoor vintage market with 75+ vendors.
- Silent Yoga | Sat., May 21 | 10:20 a.m. | TEN20 Craft Brewery | $10 | Enjoy a silent yoga flow taught by Lee Schardein.
Monday-Sunday, May 23-29
Monday, May 23
- Let Summer Begin cookie decorating workshop | Mon., May 23 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Cooking at the Cottage, 3739 Lexington Rd. | $65 | Decorate a variety of cookies with your kiddos 12 and older. 🍪
Tuesday, May 24
- Valerie June | Tues., May 24 | 8 p.m. | Old Forester’s Paristown Hall | $25+ | Catch this folky soul artist performing in the Ville. 🎤
- Louisville Bats vs. Omaha Storm Chasers | Tues., May 24 | 6:05 p.m. | Louisville Slugger Field | $9+ | The Bats take on the Storm Chasers + it’s $1 menu night. ⚾
Wednesday, May 25
- Twelfth Night | Wed., May 25-Fri., July 22 | Central Park | Free | Watch the Kentucky Shakespeare Festival’s season opener.
Thursday, May 26
- Here Comes Summer cooking class | Thurs., May 26 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Cooking at the Cottage, 3739 Lexington Rd. | $55 | Learn how to make firecracker shrimp salad + strawberry balsamic shortcakes. 🍤
- Craft Beer Throwdown | Thurs., May 26 | 5-9 p.m. | Mile Wide Beer Co. | $25 | 12 breweries will go head to head in a competition whose proceeds will benefit the Coalition for the Homeless.
- Abbey Road on the River 2022 | Thurs., May 26- May 30 | Multiple Times | Big Four Station Park, Jeffersonville, IN | $40+ | Celebrate the 20th year of this music festival inspired by The Beatles. 🎤
Friday, May 27
- F.A.T. Friday Trolley Hop | Fri., May 27 | 6-10:30 p.m. | Frankfort Avenue Trolley | Free | Hop on the Frankfort Avenue Trolley to explore the shops + restaurants throughout the neighborhood. 🚎
- Forecastle Festival | Fri., May 27- Sun., May 29 | Multiple Times | Waterfront Park | $100+ | Rock out with artists like Jack Harlow, 6LACK + Phoebe Bridgers at this three-day music festival. 🎤
Saturday, May 28
- Water Concert Series: Rags and Riches | Sat., May 28 | 7 p.m. | Norton Commons, 10712 Meeting St. | Price TBD | Check out this up-and-coming brother duo from Lexington. 🎶
- Lou City FC vs. FC Tulsa | Sat., May 28 | 2 p.m. | Lynn Family Stadium | $15+ | Spend your Memorial Day weekend cheering on the boys in purple. ⚽
Sunday, May 29
- Louisville Bats vs. Omaha Storm Chasers | Tues., May 24 | 6:06 p.m. | Louisville Slugger Field | $9+ | Stay after the game for Memorial Day Eve fireworks. ⚾