This year marks the ninth How-To Festival at the library, which is a free, open-to-the-public event that teaches skills from tree planting to digital music creation — and it’s all thanks to the generosity of volunteers. Sessions begin at 10 a.m. + will be spread throughout 15 areas of the branch at 301 York St.
The event’s sessions are based on current trends and activities, though some presenters from previous years return as well — like how to do Tai Chi or homebrew beer. New topics this year include making and decorating dog treats + planning a cross-country road trip in an electric vehicle.
We’re lifelong learners here at LOUtoday, so here are 9 skills we want to learn at the How-To Festival, what time the sessions will be happening, where + who’s teaching.
For City Editor Sarah
- How to grow medicinal herbs | 10-10:45 a.m. | Garden Tent No. 1 | Madeline Marchal, Louisville Grows | I’d love to include medicinal herbs in my native plant garden that I’ll learn how to plant later in the day.
- How to print like Gutenberg | 11-11:45 a.m. | York St. building lobby | Nick Baute, Hound Dog Press I learned printmaking in high school — shout out to the Ballard art department — and I’m fascinated to know how the OG did it back in the day.
- How to garden with native plants | 1-1:45 p.m. | York St. building, Community Room | Phyllis Fitzgerald | I’ve only been interested in starting a home garden with my sister for like, ever.
- How to go solar | 2-2:45 p.m. | York St. building, 2nd floor Alcove | Sarah Lynn Cunningham, Louisville Climate Action Network | Despite renting my current home, I have a vested interest in switching to alternative energy sources.
For City Editor Katie
- How to raise a herd of urban goats | 10-10:45 a.m. | Garden Tent No. 2 | Von Barnes, Kentuckiana Backyard Farms | As an amateur urban homesteader, raising goats one day would mean I’ve made it to “Alone” status.
- How to milk a cow | 10 a.m.-2:45 p.m. | Library Lane | Haley Fisher, Southland Dairy Farmers | I grew up in Southern Indiana + at one point in time learned how to milk a cow, so really this all-day demonstration would be a skills test.
- How to do simple plumbing | 11-11:45 a.m. | York St. building, Kentucky History Room | Bruce Cohen, BC Plumbing | This will save my dad at least one phone call a month.
- How to make a kite | 12-12:45 p.m. | Kid’s Tent outside | Louisville Free Public Library | I’d love to whip out my handmade kite next time someone tells me to “go fly a kite.”
For Sales Executive Mandey
- How to train your dog with positive reinforcement | 2-2:45 p.m. | North building, Centennial Room | Kathleen Kiefer, Wiserdog.com | I have two HUGE dogs that really need this.
Check out the full list of lessons — including kid-friendly sessions, which are designated with a smiley face — and the site map here.